Monday, April 23, 2012

GOING BALD? New discoveries



"On average, we lose fifty to a hundred hairs a day," says Francesca Fusco, MD, a New York City dermatologist who specializes in hair loss. "That's just hair going through its cycles, and there will be a new one to replace it." 


But hair loss may be a sign of a more serious medical condition that needs an evaluation by a dermatologist and possible treatment. Here are nine causes of hair loss and how to deal with them. More here.


In a proof of concept study for bio engineered organ replacement,  researchers managed to grow a tuft of hair using stem cells taken from the scalp of a balding man, which were then transplanted onto hairless mouse that subsequently grew a Mohawk-like tuft of hair just behind its ears. 


Takashi Tsuji, a Professor in the Research Institute for Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science, and Director of Organ Technologies Inc, led the team, who reported their findings in an open access paper published in Nature Communications on 17 April 2012. 

More on baldness;


'Just to confirm to all my followers I have had a hair transplant. I was going bald at 25, why not? I'm delighted with the result'. Rooney paid £30,000 to solve the problem earlier this year. More here.


 



Natalie Portman considered to be the most beautiful baldactress of all time, shaved her hair for her role in the movie V for Vendetta.

5 comments:

  1. hi katrina, i did experience hair loss before, abnormal kind and it panicked me as well. now i think its because i was stressed up with too much work then,
    thanks for posting on this. have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CV,
      I never realized women too have bald/hair loss problems (except for those with cancer - Mi posted a picture of her going bald during her cancer treatment).

      This new research is fantastic eh?

      Delete
  2. milady,
    what about people who grew White hair tho they're still young? is it because of stress? happening to young men that i know.

    as for going bald, haiya, botak also nice what!
    for men anyway. for women, time to tudung up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina, love your name. I am glad I still give my barber work, once every 4 months. Or when my wife stares at me! Ha ha.
    I use a certain hair tonic past 35 years as well shampoo for horses, yes, you read that right. Can use for humans too.
    The hair gets thicker.

    Stress can have an effect too, I believe, so laughter helps prevent it, I think.
    You have a nice day, and keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uncle Lee, tks for stopping by, I used to follow yr blog silently via CV but yr article on Mothers truly mgusik jiwa saya.. really beautiful piece - was crying while reading. CV calls me Kat, my boss's wife is the only person who calls me Kathy (I don't know why?).

      My 15yr old daughter was discussing her career path wth me and cannot decide to become a Doctor or a Hair Stylist. So when I chance upon the baldness new research report, I told her why not aim to become a Dermatologist and Hair Stylist (both), after treating the hair problem, it grows, then she can also style and cut their hair!

      Cheers

      Delete